The London Clinic, 120 Harley Street, London, W1G 7JW
Consultant urologists are often called on to diagnose and treat men’s health conditions such as prostate problems, but that doesn’t mean that you don’t need to see a urologist if you’re a woman. What are the most common reasons for women to visit a consultant urologist in London?
Consultant Urologist in London

UTIs That Keep Coming Back

You won’t usually need to see a specialist when you have a mild UTI as your GP should be able to diagnose the infection and prescribe antibiotics. Most women will experience a urine infection at some point in their lives. However, if you keep getting urinary tract infections, it can be a good idea to see a urologist. A specialist will be able to perform extra investigations and offer additional treatment options that could help to prevent UTIs from coming back again.

Bladder Prolapse

If the muscles of the pelvic floor become stretched, weakened or damaged then they may not be able to support the bladder properly. The bladder can slip out of place. In women, the bladder will drop down into the vagina. A pelvic floor prolapse can lead to issues such as incontinence, more UTIs or an overactive bladder. Prolapses can be more common in women who have had children or been through the menopause. A urologist can help by performing surgery or recommending non-surgical approaches that can support the bladder.

Urinary Incontinence

Urinary incontinence is very common, especially in older women. You might feel the need to urinate so suddenly that you can’t reach the toilet in time, experience gradual overflow incontinence, or let out some urine when laughing, sneezing or exercising. A consultant urologist can recommend carious non-surgical approaches to tackle incontinence or perform surgery when necessary.

Bladder and Kidney Cancer

Bladder and kidney cancer are both more common in men than in women, but they can affect anyone so it is important to be aware of the signs. Approximately 28% of bladder cancer cases and 37% of kidney cancer cases are in women. If you notice symptoms such as blood in your urine, changes in how often you need to pee, or pain on one side of your lower back (that isn’t due to an injury) then you should see a doctor. If you have a urological cancer then you will need to be treated by a consultant urologist.
If you’re experiencing any of these problems, then you should make an appointment with a consultant urologist in London. Many of the conditions affecting the urinary tract can affect both men and women, while some such as urine infections are actually more common in women. Urologists are here to treat everyone, so don’t hesitate to get in touch if you need help.
Make an Enquiry

We will back to you within 48 hours. Required fields are marked *

  • Yes
  • No
Clinics & Visiting Hospitals
  • The London Clinic
  • 120 Harley Street
  • London
  • W1G 7JW
Map & Contact Details
  • The London Clinic
  • 20 Devonshire Place
  • London
  • W1G 6BW
Map & Contact Details
  • Wellington Hospital
  • Wellington Place
  • London
  • NW8 9LE
Map & Contact Details
  • Princess Grace Hospital (HCA)
  • 42-52 Nottingham Place
  • London
  • W1U 5NY
Map & Contact Details
Patients With Medical Insurance

We are recognised providers by all major health insurance companies.