Making some simple lifestyle changes could help to relieve some of the symptoms caused by an enlarged prostate. However, it is important to speak to a doctor about your symptoms as you may need medication or other prostate enlargement treatment. The doctor can also rule out more serious problems such as prostate cancer that could be causing similar symptoms to benign prostate enlargement.
Changing Your Routine
Problems urinating are very common when you have an enlarged prostate. Your doctor can recommend prostate enlargement treatment
to tackle these symptoms, but it can also help to make some changes to your routine. Just changing the way you drink and urinate can help you to feel more comfortable.
- Try to avoid drinking for a couple of hours before you go to bed so that you are less likely to need to get up in the night.
- Avoid fizzy drinks, caffeine, alcohol and artificial sweeteners as these can irritate your bladder and make your symptoms worse.
- Make sure that you empty your bladder as much as possible when you urinate, but don‘t strain yourself. Wait for a few seconds after you think you’ve finished and then try to go again as there may be some urine left.
- Ask your doctor for advice on bladder training as part of your prostate enlargement treatment. It could help you to last longer without needing to urinate.
Other Ways to Relive Symptoms
Thinking about what you are drinking and making sure that you empty your bladder properly can make a big difference to your symptoms. However, there are a few other things you can do to tackle the effects of benign prostate enlargement:
- Find a way to avoid or manage stress as it can make your symptoms feel worse. Talking to a friend or using mindfulness or relaxation techniques could help.
- Make sure you are eating a balanced diet with plenty of fibre. It can help prevent constipation, which could put pressure on your bladder and make your urinary symptoms worse.
- Get more exercise as it can help to improve your symptoms as well as your general health. It can also help with stress relief.